Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Money


Want to be rich? Well, it can feel that way when you change your money into yen!

The smallest paper denomination is 1000 yen (about $10). So, with the cost of items, I seldom get out of a store for under 1000 yen – often more like 2500 yen or more. No matter how much I practice and understand the money, when it comes to paying for something, I often just stretch out my hand and the clerk will take what is missing. This, BTW, is very gracious of them. Because one of the cardinal rules for paying for anything is Never Hand a Clerk your money – put it in the money tray. It’s an insult to give them the money directly. I have no idea why, because they return my change directly from their hand to mine.

If you go to the “$” store, everything is 100 yen. (unless clearly marked for more)

Besides the 1000 yen bill, there’s a 5000 yen and a 10,000 yen bill. And almost everything is cash based. We’ve only used our credit card a couple of times. So, pack a wad of money to go shopping! Our grocery store doesn’t take credit cards!

Here’s the coins:

500 yen, 100 yen, 50 yen, 10 yen, 5 yen & 1 yen.

No comments:

Post a Comment